Thursday, March 15, 2012

fooRider (Japan)

FooRider was born in 1983 in Shiga, in the Kinki region. His illustrations were first published in the February 2005 issue of MdN magazine. Completely self-taught, FooRider has created a distinctive imaginary world that draws on hip-hop, martial arts, B-movies and traditional Japanese culture.

"My work combines urban youth culture with traditional Japanese art. If you asked me what the difference between Japanese and Western illustration is, I'd say that the former has a bigger pop-culture influence than the latter." -- FooRider.

[Derived from: Campos, C. (2011) Japanese illustration now. London, United Kingdom: Thames & Hudson Ltd.. (p. 54, 57, 60)]

Click for his WEBSITE and BLOG!

Hong Kong Night
2006

Seven Heaven
2006


Ukiyoe Love
2007

Seven Heaven
2008

  • Why did you decide to become an illustrator?
Because I want to express myself and influence people's mind. I like drawing above all else. I decided to devote myself to illustration when I received my first commission, at the age of twenty. I was so happy! I had to design and illustrate T-shirts for a sporting goods firm.

  • How do you choose the colours for your illustrations? They are a distinctive element of your work...
I normally choose dark, nocturnal colours, which are the ones I like most. The night holds secrets... In my illustrations, something has happened at night, but we don't know exactly what. The night is for ninjas! I also often use the colours found in traditional Japanese art.

  • What technique do you use to draw?
My techniques are very simple. My illustration work on the basis of perspective, which gives them depth and movement. This makes your mind wander through the illustration. The dark colours also help, obviously.

  • What is the difference between illustration or pop art and so-called high culture?
I don't think there's any clear difference. For me, illustration is an art just like any other. If it affects you one way or another, then it's good, it's high culture.


[Derived from: Campos, C. (2011) Japanese illustration now. London, United Kingdom: Thames & Hudson Ltd.. (p. 60)]





1 comment:

  1. Good blog... keep-up the good work.... May I share an Interview with Katsushika Hokusai (imaginary) in https://stenote.blogspot.com/2018/05/an-interview-with-katsushika.html

    ReplyDelete